06 May 2009

Minor Meditation: Literary Emotion

I have been told twice this semester that Toni Morrison's writing is depressing. This angers me quite a bit since these people can only find her depressing if they have not read any literature written in the 1800's or early 1900's about race relations in America. 

Specifically those written by White authors in whose imagination I see nothing to recognize of anything I know to be true about Black people. And in whose ink stained grasp, those same people become hollow stereotypes, steeped in ignorance, foolishness, hopelessness. Folks with no choices and no future.

In Morrison's world, though not always pretty, the voices sing! They serenade! And at the end, I feel such joy that someone who so loves herself and people of color has taken on the task of representing their reality - because she does a wonderful job at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As a strong proponent of first amendment rights, I want to hear all of what you have to say. BUT, be it unkind, rude, out of context, ungracious, or downright evil, you will force me to remove your words.

A Love Supreme